Not long ago, a time capsule was removed from the Home Guards Building, one of the more prominent structures in downtown Van Wert, Ohio.
"The Power of Dreams." This is the foundation on which Soichiro Honda established the Honda Motor Co., Ltd. in 1949. The American Honda Motor Co. was established just 10 years later and in 1977, the company arrived in Ohio. A friendship between Mr. Honda and then Ohio Governor James Rhodes led to construction of a Honda manufacturing facility - the first of many in our area.
This year, one of those facilities - Honda’s Ohio Transmission Plant - is celebrating 25 years in operation. Since starting transmission production in 1996, the Ohio Transmission Plant has steadily expanded the scope of its operations and products to keep pace with Honda's growing lineup of passenger cars and light trucks. With a total investment of more than $1 billion, the 1.1-million square-foot Ohio transmission plant produces more than 850,000 transmissions per year as well as gear sets and transfer cases and differentials for four-wheel drive vehicles.
The Ohio Transmission Plant's product line-up started with production of 4-speed automatic transmissions (4AT) in 1996, followed by 5-speed automatic transmissions (5AT) in 2005 and 6-speed automatic transmissions in 2010. Today's transmission types include a continuous variable (CVT) pulley driven transmission and a two-motor hybrid system (HEV) for the Accord Hybrid, CR-V Hybrid and Insight Hybrid sedan. The plant also makes a P2 Planetary Gear Assembly that is used in every gear setting in the 10AT produced in Georgia.